30 september 2012

Today would have been Dad's 91 birthday.

When my father, Sven left us for Heaven in Nov. 1967, he was only 46 years old. We children were aged 18, 15 and 11.
I have cared for many 90 year olds and I have often thought that he could still have been among us. He was snatched away from us in the middle of his life. Away from his wife and children and the grandchildren he never had the joy to welcome. He had dreams for his daughters, for what they would be in life. He enjoyed life in full and was a very positive person. We daughters always looked forward to when dad would come back from the sea.
This time he didn't come. But for me it became like the second encounter with God, that has greatly come to influence my life.
I remember when the news reached us.  In the middle of the chaos, I went up to my room and shut the door behind me and knelt by my bed. Suddenly I feel as if I was surrounded by safe warm arms and I heard as clearly as if God had stood by my bed:'' You need not be afraid my child, I am your Father, I am with you and will never leave you. Do not be afraid. ''
I've been through many storms since then. But this truth is as a foundation and a stronghold in my life. We meet our losses in life, but this truth is a fundamental security that no one can take away from us. That God is our Father and that He will never leave us. He whispers to us deep inside the heart by his Holy Spirit: DO NOT BE AFRAID! I AM WITH YOU!
"I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you".
Love Anna