11 november 2013

Mercy & Compassion- a sign

I just had a phonecall from Pat she is one of my friends and is working in our TOL office in CM.
She had stopped her motorcycle beside a homeless man, lying on the footpath between the Christian Hospital and the Theological Faculty. She felt the Lord wanted her to stop and check on this old man.
In all his dirt and poverty she saw something beautiful in this old man. She bought him some bread and water and he smiled at her as she handed it to him.
Today she went to check on him again and she believes he is dying. In the meantime she visited several churches to try to awaken their mercy or compassion but the response was either, we are busy praying or  this is this mans life and  destiny, why should we care.
She has called several friends, and she has been to 2 policestations to ask them help the man, NOBODY CARES.
I live 940 km away. I can feel her burning passion as she is allowed to feel what Father feels.
And maybe her passion has an ounce of frustration and anger in it too over where the Church of today is at. And I think of the word in Luke 6:35-36 which I understand as follows: Mercy & Compassion is the sign that we are Children of the Father.
I have been in Pat's shoes. Once I turned a church board meeting upside down because of my passion for the poor and vulnerable, the alcohol and drug addicts and the young who were at risk. While the church had other priorities.

My own anger might not have been so good, but I believed then that it was right and clean. And at that time I didn't care what people thought of me. 
I said to Pat today. I know what it is to know the Fathers heart, and also how to feel totally inadequat or helpless. But as long as you do that which Father asks of you in the situation, then others has to answer to God what they have not done.
 
Mercy and compassion is absolute necessary for  the survival of our hearts.
Without it we will die of spiritual cardiosclerosis.   
Anna