13 oktober 2019

Multiply grandmother Inez

                                               
The date: October 13th stirred my thoughts this morning about my mother, our children's grandmother Inez. She would be 95 years old today if she was alive. 

A brave woman I could write a whole book about. I still meet people in Sweden who are happy to testify what she meant to them, especially when they were young. After all, it wasn't just her own grandchildren who captured her heart. It was especially the vulnerable. She even got paid from the municipality to be a supporting grandmother for a period, to single mothers with toddlers.

I would like to multiply her here in Isaan. It is the grandmothers who take care of the growing generation. Often without the support of those who brought them into this world.
If we are to build the ruins after many generations of fragmentation and destruction, then we must bring them on the train too.

Here in Ubon-Pakse are we teaching and challenging the children, teachers, village leaders but must also bring the grandmothers along. We have understood that if we can bring them as a united front then we have more chance to see change, a reformation of how we value the children and break the vicious cycle of abuse and human trafficking.

Very grateful for my mother. She was a great example for me. 
Anna.